Saturday 24 September 2011

How to create a static blank page on a Wordpress blog (as a "Coming Soon" page?)?

I have a Wordpress blog that I hooked up through GoDaddy.com.



Currently I am still working on the layout, theme, etc, so I haven't really gotten anywhere. However, I have created a static page that has my logo and a %26quot;stay tuned%26quot; message. I want this page to be the only one that users can see when they access the site- no links, nothing but the image and %26quot;coming soon%26quot;. The only way I could figure out how to do this was to go into my main folder (root folder? I don't know all the terminology yet) and change the html in the %26quot;index.php%26quot; to show the %26quot;Stay Tuned%26quot; page I created. I made a backup of the original index.php so that I could put it back to the way it was once my site is up and running.



The only problem is, I can't work with Wordpress and edit/test layouts like this. Is there any way I can make a static BLANK page (no links, no hint of a blog layout) through Wordpress without having to change the index.php?



The main problem is that I can't edit and preview my blog layout like I normally would. I want to do editing behind the scenes with one simple page as a cover until I'm through. Does anyone have an idea of what I'm talking about :)







Thanks!How to create a static blank page on a Wordpress blog (as a %26quot;Coming Soon%26quot; page?)?One advice:

DON'T, EVER, make a page saying %26quot;comming soon%26quot;, or %26quot;in-progress%26quot; of %26quot;in construction%26quot;.

It is amateurish and gives your site the reputation of being incompetent.

While developing, use the %26quot;default page%26quot; of your web server, usually saing that %26quot;this is a website hosted by so-and-so%26quot;, and everyone will know it is not active yet.

To test it?

Easy!

Leave %26quot;index.html/asp/php%26quot; to whatever it is.

Build your homepage with a name that no-one will guess (like %26quot;xyzqpk.php%26quot;), and, to try your site, just put the url %26quot;www.mysite.com/xyzqpk.php%26quot; (enter full path)

When all is ok, rename xyzqpk.php as index.php and delete index.html!
How to create a static blank page on a Wordpress blog (as a %26quot;Coming Soon%26quot; page?)?
Instead of editing your index.php file, name your %26quot;Stay Tuned%26quot; page index.html and drop it in the same directory.



If the order of processing is html then php as it is on most sites, then when someone goes to your domain they will get your stay tuned page.



To access your wordpress blog, just log in like normal. To view it, use yourdomain/index.php



You might also want to set your wordpress privacy settings to not have search engines index your site yet.

Settings - Privacy - I would like to block...



Of course, a great alternative for layout/edit tests is to put a LAMP setup on your local computer and play with it there...then upload things once you have them looking the way you want. Apache Triad works great for that.
How to create a static blank page on a Wordpress blog (as a %26quot;Coming Soon%26quot; page?)?
A Coming Soon page doesn't need to look amateurish. Even more... it could be used to create a mystery atmosphere prior the launch of your website, to collect basic information of your early visitors promising them that you will get back to them as soon as your site is up and running or whatever you want them to show/tell them at that time.



I would recommend you to install a theme called Launchpad. It was designed to be used a Coming Soon theme:

http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/launchpad



Also, you will need to install a plugin called Theme Test drive that will allow you, as a WordPress administrator, to see and test your prefered theme whils your visitors see another theme (LaunchPad, for instance). It's URL is:

http://www.prelovac.com/vladimir/wordpress-plugins/theme-test-drive



I hope it helps,

Will