Sunday 5 June 2011

Creating index page using SSI?

I%26#039;m not an expert web designer, just a humble print designer trying to get my portfolio online, so forgive my n00bishness. So anyway, I am using server side includes for my navigation, so I don%26#039;t have to update the code on 943864396 pages every time I want to make a change, but I%26#039;m not quite sure how to make the index page. As always I have to have a page labeled %26quot;index.html%26quot; but since I am using SSI, it has to be .shtml. I do not want my address to be at www.blahblahblah.com/index.shtml. How do I make it so I can just get to www.blahblahblah.com without having to add the /index.shtml? Do I just need my index.html page to redirect to the .shtml file? How do I do this? Thanks.|||First of all, there%26#039;s nothing wrong with having the .shtml extension in an address. Most people will not know the difference, and those that do won%26#039;t care. Second, you should give out the address as www.blahblah.com and just leave off the specific file reference. The default file specification on the server will take care of the rest. Ask your hosting company about setting that for you.





Meta redirects are being used less and less because they can confuse/frustrate the visitor when they try to use their back button.|||Yes, you could make your index.html page have contain the following line:


%26lt;meta http-equiv=%26quot;refresh%26quot; content=%26quot;0;URL=index.shtml%26quot; /%26gt;


Put that in the %26lt;head%26gt; area.





Or if you can use .htaccess files, try adding to / creating an .htaccess file:


DirectoryIndex index.shtml


This will only work though if the webserver%26#039;s configuration allows it.