Sunday 5 June 2011

Can I put PHP into my index.html page in a shared hosting environment on GoDaddy?

I%26#039;m hoping there%26#039;s a file I can stick into my file system that will tell the shared hosting that in my directory .html documents can run PHP scripts. Right now I have to rename them index.php and that%26#039;s going to really be a problem on my site. Does anyone know a way to change that setting?|||yah you can try doing it in a .htacess file , you would prob have to put it in every folder that you want this to work





add this to an existing .htacess file or make up a text file, name it .htaccess, add the following:





DirectoryIndex index.html


AddType application/x-httpd-php3 .php











you may need this too...........








%26lt;Files *.html%26gt;


options execcgi


SetHandler cgi-script


%26lt;/Files%26gt;








hope this helps|||you will have to update your .HTACCESS document or make one that is appropriate http://www.javascriptkit.com/howto/htacc鈥?/a>|||Howzit





PHP only runs in file.php only. If you want to use PHP coding the extension should be (file.php). Alternatively you can use JavaScript. I am not a big fan of JavaScript... it%26#039;s pretty much dead technology. If like me you are not, then the only choice you have is to rename the files to have a .php extension





[apologies to the JavaScript fans... i just can%26#039;t hold my tongue. Have to tell it like it is]





Good luck|||Assuming your server supports it, you can use a server side include to call a php script. An example where we%26#039;ve done this may be seen at projectenlightenment.wcpss.net/index.htm鈥?It dynamcially renders Upcoming Events in the .html page.





If you don%26#039;t want to rename your pages and only have a few pages requiring dynamic content, this approach may work for you. Otherwise, you will most likely need to go the .htaccess route.