Sunday 5 June 2011

Can I rename my index page so it will come up on search engines? Bookmarking my home page comes up "index"

Google finds my website from it%26#039;s content, but the title of my site comes up as %26quot;Index%26quot;. I wanted to change the title of my homepage but a warning box came up telling me no one would be able to visit my site if I title it anything other than %26quot;Index%26quot;.|||The name of the FILE should be index.html, but in the page headers you can set any page title you want. What the page title is in the headers is what will show up for bookmarks, but if the main page FILE of your site isn%26#039;t named index.html, most browsers will not be able to see it.





File name and title are very different. Suppose you have a Word document for your homework. The homework is a book report on To Kill A Mockingbird. The title of the paper is: My Book Report on To Kill A Mockingbird. But you saved the Word doc on your computer as %26quot;stupid-book-report.doc%26quot;. That is the file name, like index.html. :) Got it?





http://www.comptechdoc.org/independent/w鈥?/a> shows how to set the page headers for the title.