Sunday 5 June 2011

Changing index page on my website?

How do I change the index page on my website to be a intro page without having to update ALL the links in my site that are set to return to the index page?


I want to make the index page a Flash movie with a link to enter the site. But if I change the file to be named index my entire site will be messed up.|||If I may make a suggestion, don%26#039;t do this. You are inconveniencing most of your potential audience by forcing them to click through an intro page. Unless you are a flash programmer showing off your work, this is just going to irritate people.





FWIW|||Most web servers allow for a list of default pages, so you might want to change your default web page to be something like intro.html, index.html so that if an intro.html is found in the directory, that page will be served, and if no intro.html is in the directory, then index.html will be served.





How to change the list of default pages depends on the web server software you are using - Apache, Microsoft IIS, etc.|||I repeat the previous suggestion: don%26#039;t do it.





Anyway, if you still want to shoot yourself in the feet, a common way to do it (if you are hosted with apache webserver) is to use the mod_rewrite module.